- Diploma in Business Administration, College of Cape Breton, Sydney, Nova Scotia (1979)
- Graduate RCMP Training Academy, Regina, Saskatchewan
- Extensive education within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at both the managerial and investigational levels
- National Executive Institute (graduate) Federal Bureau of Investigation, Quantico, Virginia (2008)
- Bachelor of Arts (Sociology, Psychology) Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia (1998)
- Masters of Arts (Conflict Analysis and Management) Royal Roads University, Victoria, British Columbia (October 2001)
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Doctorate of Police Leadership, Charles Sturt University, Manly, Australia (dissertation stage)
Has worked with the RCMP, moving through the ranks from Constable to Assistant Commissioner and has served in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and Ontario and spent almost 19 years in the three northern territories. Worked for the Durham Regional Police Service and the Ottawa Police Service in the role of Chief of Police between 2005 and 2012.
Has been an Adjunct, visiting or part-time professor at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Charles Sturt University, the University of Ottawa, Carleton University and as a visiting fellow at the Australian Institute of Police Management.
Has extensive background at the investigational/supervisory and Aboriginal/First Nation and Community Policing level over a 31 year policing career. Has extensive experience in all avenues of policing, administrative, managerial and investigational.
Guest lecturer at the University of Alaska, St Mary's University, Dalhousie University, Charles Sturt University, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Simon Fraser University, Carleton University, University of Ottawa, Chinese People's Public Security University and The Indian National Police Academy
- Received a Commissioners Commendation for work on the GIANT Mine investigation where he was the primary investigator between 1992 and 1995.
- Received a Commanding Officer’s Commendation for excellence in professionalism and dedication to duty for his work as Sergeant in Charge of Community Policing for the Northwest Territories between 1994 and 1996.
- Received a Queens Jubilee Medal for “making a significant contribution to Canada” in 2003.
- Received the Just One Person Award and the Community Builder of the Year Award in 2010
- Received a Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012.